A lady was bleating on the radio the other day, euphoric that the UK was out of the European Union and that she was free. Apart from concerns as to the curious life the lady must lead, it occured to me that she was right, absolutely right that she, we, all of us are now free and here are ten reasons why. Ten or two*. Choose the ones that matter most to you. Add to the list.
- The freedom to buy health insurance for European travel.
2. The freedom to for pets’ passports not to count anymore.
3. The freedom to bring back a lone bottle of duty free booze.
4. The freedom to queue at European immigration desks.
5. The freedom to pay more for using a cash cards in the EU.
6. The freedom to pay more for flights.
7. The freedom to bathe in polluted rivers and seas.
8. The freedom to pay more for cheese, avocados et al.
9. The freedom to have an understaffed NHS, too few hauliers and food processors.
10. The freedom to be vulnerable to energy supply shortages and high prices.
*There are two kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t.
There are more freedoms …
The freedom to pay VAT, duties and customs fees on parcels from Europe.
The freedom to worry if medical supplies are slowing.
The freedom to sit in endless jams at the ports.
The freedom to carry green card proof of insurance plus the extra premium, when driving in the EU.
The freedom to enjoy cratering quality of life.
The freedom to have to buy an international driving license.
The freedom for scientists to work alone and with reduced funding.
The freedom for students not to participate in funded foreign exchanges.
The freedom to not go on duty free booze runs to Calais.
… and pity (or not) the poor expat Brexiteers who are being chucked out of Spain.
You must be logged in to post a comment.